2 cups LifeField Buckwheat Groats
4 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 pound sun-dried cranberries
2 cups water
3 or 4 bunch green onions or scallions sliced
1/4 pound pecans
a small bunch of fresh tarragon
1/2 bunch parsley
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Boil 4 cups of water. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in LifeField Buckwheat, reduce heat, gently stir, cover and simmer 15 minutes.*
- Run cool water over it and drain. Set aside until cool.
- Boil 2 cups more of water. Add cranberries and heat for 8 — 10 minutes. Stir gently.
- Run cool water over them and drain. Set aside until cool.
- Incorporate cranberries with buckwheat, green onions or scallions, pecans and fresh herbs. Add balsamic vinegar. Add olive oil slowly while tossing salad — add and toss.
- Salt and pepper to taste, add cinnamon and sugar.
- Refrigerate one hour. Serve on platter as salad with grilled chicken, turkey or ham.
*For al dente buckwheat cook 8- 10 minutes. As buckwheat cracks remove from heat
Credit: Karlton D. Harris, Executive Chef C.E.C.
Society of Illustrators, New York City
Cornbread & Caviar Restaurant Owner/Executive Chef
590 Sunrise Highway, Baldwin, N.Y.
Makes 6 hearty servings